Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pinal has a new Sheriff


Every law enforcement officer can tell you the most important defining attribute is integrity and honesty. A person simply cannot be a police officer if they lack the most important parts defining a police officer. The smallest mistake involving integrity and honesty can get you in a lot of hot water, even fired or decertified. This includes all law enforcement officer, not just the rank-and-file, but command staff, Lieutenants, Captains, Sergeants, Chiefs and yes, Sheriffs.

When Chief Robert Ingulli, Florence Police Chief, lost in the last election for sheriff, I believed the same corrupt Pinal County, good old boy network would never change.

When I heard Paul Babeu was running for Sheriff, I didn’t simply accept the rumors about Paul nor did I take the statements Paul made on his website, I met with him one on one and I walked away with the confidence that he could turn things around for the Pinal County Sheriff’s office.

I wrote an endorsement for Paul, which was posted on his Website.
"Our community needs a strong leader, one that “we the people” can hold accountable, one with the highest integrity and honesty, one that believes in the United States Constitution, one that feels strongly about protecting its citizens. After meeting and talking with Paul, there’s no doubt in my mind that he is the man for the job."

I meant every word I wrote. But more important than the written words, is I plan on holding Paul Babeu accountable. I have nothing to gain nor do I want anything from the Sheriff elect; Other than security and bringing back honesty, integrity and a sense of accomplishment to the office.

He has a big job ahead of him and it’s not going to be easy. There are many rumors of the current Sheriff making attempts to scuttle the new sheriff’s transition to office; spending the balance of the budget so nothing is left for Paul to work with, leaving internal investigations open to be dealt with later, just to name a few. What the current administration does not understand is; that only hurts the people of Pinal County. Lets hope none of this is true.

I think Paul understands; this is no free ride. He will be held to a higher standard. He will need to reach and maintain a higher bar. It’s what he ran on.

If he doesn’t understand then it should be made very clear; we will not accept the same old Pinal County, you will be held accountable, my reputation is on the line, I endorsed you and gave my word to my community that you were the one to turn things around.

This supporter plans on not only holding Sheriff Elect Babeu accountable but the rest of the county government.

No comments: